A lone shepherd's hut in a pretty field with stargazing window near Chagford. A great stay for a couple - or bring a tent to add 2 friends or older children.
- Handcrafted shepherd's hut ideal for a romantic break for a couple in the heart of Dartmoor National Park. This is a lone hut in a field.
- There is a fold down king size bed with a beautiful stargazing skylight.
- The hut has a well designed kitchenette with gas hob, fridge with freezer compartment, stove top kettle and toaster. Or cook outside on the BBQ! A breakfast hamper is supplied for your arrival.
- Keep warm and cosy with the log burner.
- The en-suite bathroom has a compost loo and powerful hot water shower.
- Outside you can relax on the hammock, sit round the fire pit or enjoy picking fruit, vegetables and herbs from the garden.
- The town of Chagford is just a 30 minute stroll away along a riverside footpath.
- There is a small fee of £15 a night extra if you wish to bring along your own tent and add 2 more adults, or over 10s. Or advise the owner if you wish to use a travel cot for a baby or young toddler for £10 per stay.
10% discount on stays of 7 nights (discount applied to quote)
Charming handcrafted shepherd's hut in the heart of Dartmoor National Park sleeps 2 guests within easy walking distance of Chagford. It is possible to bring you own tent for an extra 2 adults / over 10 year olds to sleep alongside. You have the field to yourselves.
A baby or young toddler could stay inside the hut in a provided travel cot for £10 per stay.
The hut is nestled in the corner of a field amongst wildflowers and fruit trees in an idyllic quiet spot right by the River Teign with views of the surrounding hills. Inside, there is a cosy log burner, king size bed with stargazing skylight over top, kitchenette facilities and en-suite bathroom with a compost loo and powerful hot shower. The hut itself is completely unique as it was handmade by the owners, this includes everything from the bed, to the table and benches, the kitchen to the loo, basin, internal doors and rustic oak steps leading into the hut. It has been made to a very high standard with fine attention to detail; a couple of extra special features include the fold away bed disguised behind a fake bookcase, the beautifully intricate Moroccan wood carving which forms the architrave above the bed, and of course the curved stargazing skylight above the table / bed.
Outside the hut there is a fire pit, BBQ, hammock and vegetable / herb garden where guests can help themselves, plus there are fruit trees, raspberry canes and blackberries too! Along the bottom of the field runs the River Teign - the perfect spot for a picnic / swim / fishing / paddling in the dinghy or, for the brave-hearted - swinging from the rope swing. There is also a woven willow igloo in front of the hut which provides extra privacy and a lovely shady den in hot weather - it has subtle solar-powered fairy lights woven through it which create a lovely ambience in the evening and there are solar powered lanterns that light up the paths at night.
Locally you can take a stroll into Chagford, just a half hour from the hut, along country paths, or venture to the Mill End Hotel which serves a delicious Devonshire Cream Tea. Alternatively Fingle Bridge and Castle Drogo are well worth a visit. The local swimming pool is just a few hundred metres up the road for guests to enjoy in the summer months.
Dogs welcome. Minimum 2 night stay. A delicious breakfast hamper is supplied including eggs from the owners hens, freshly baked bread and local bacon and sausages.
There is a cleaning fee of £20.
The owners encourage eco friendly behaviour with recycling available plus eco friendly cleaning products supplied, and a compost loo.
Please click Check Availability for dates and prices.
Nearby (within 5 miles)
Lake / River
Included - Linen
Included - Towels
Safety & Security
Carbon monoxide detector
First aid kit
Lockbox / Safe
Kitchenware / Utensils
Take care - Near water
Guaranteed parking space
Yes. We will provide you with a travel cot for an extra £10 for the stay. The bed is a kingsize so a young child may be able to sleep with you inside.We want to bring older children to sleep in a tent. Is that possible?
There is a fee of just £15 a night to bring your own tent, bedding etc with you for an extra 2 guests. Select up to 4 guests at time of booking and this will be included in the price.quoted..Can we bring our dogs?
Up to 2 dogs are welcome free of charge. If they are larger dogs bear in mind that space may feel limited.
Exeter / Plymouth
To leave a review please email email@example.com with the property name, your name, date of stay, review title and text.